Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Countdown Starts



Well the countdown has started. I won't say how many days until but it is less than 30. Our journey to see him will be bittersweet. For I know it will end too soon for me but I can't wait to see him. I have not been to this particular base but I've always enjoyed the bases. I look forward to seeing this one.

My son still seems pretty upbeat the few times I've spoken to him over the past week. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he lives out there. I wish he was stationed closer to home but then at least he's stateside. I feel for the mothers whose child is in another country. That's tough for visiting.

This past week I had a mother (non-military mom) telling me how she told her son that he was dead to her. What did he do that warranted that? Be a teenager. Nothing out of the mainstream norm of being a teen. I think the kid is 18 or 19. Definitely old enough to follow rules, but to have your mother tell you you're dead to her. I thought that was pretty harsh. The punishment didn't fit the crime. I'm not one to tell someone how to raise his/her child. I made my own mistakes, but I did make sure my son always knew how much I loved him, no matter what. I had my fair share of screaming and even threw some things and slammed a few doors, but my son alway knew I loved him. It really bothered me to hear this, I just wanted to smack her and say this is you own damn fault and quit trying to be such a control freak. If he can't follow the rules, throw his butt out, but you don't tell your child he/she is dead to you just because he/she doesn't spend money the way you would or is a lazy bum, or can't pay back money you seem to keep loaning to him in spite of the track record. My son is about to go off to war and God willing will return to me safe and sound and alive. Here, because she's trying to make a cat into a dog is mentally jacking up her child. I've never told my son he was a loser, I may have said I was disappointed in him but never a loser. Children if told enough, will become what you say they will. He's a teen for crying out loud, how many teens are good with money? Not many.

Ok off my soapbox. I'm waiting for my extra memory card for my camera to come in the mail. I plan on taking a ton of pictures and video. I've got the iPod for the flight, got the room booked already (thanks son, since mom forgot about that) and all we have to do now is get the rental car. Once I get paid, I need to grab a few bucks...afterall, there's a PX awaiting me. lol I love PXs. I can add more to my "shrine" at work and at home of military stuff. New deployment means new stuff. Bless my husband's heart, he just steps back. I guess there's no sense in arguing this one. He knows when to pick his battles, and fighting with mom on military son matters, he'll lose. lol Honestly, I'm not over the top, too much. Can't help it, I'm just a proud army mom.

No comments: