Friday, November 7, 2008

Things that make you smile...



When you give birth to a child you wonder what will become of this child. It's almost impossible to picture them many years later as an adult. As we all know when raising a child there is no manual, it's a cross your fingers and hope for the best.

I feel sorry for the mothers of serial killers or molestors etc because no matter how horrific the crimes are they are still someone's son or daughter. I would feel horrible knowing the child I raised did something like that, but do you stop loving that child? I couldn't. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning the actions, I just don't think I could stop loving my child.

Having said all of that, I thank God for giving me the child that I have. Is he perfect? No, but neither am I nor anyone I know...well there's one person I know, he used to be a carpenter but that's another story. Anyway, my son has made his mistakes and sometimes I did want to smack him into the next universe but isn't that what most teens make us want to do? I used to tell my husband, the reason why teens are allowed to live is because we mothers remember them as sweet, angelic little beings when they were younger. Now I look at my son and I think to myself, I did something right, he can be a knucklehead at times but he has a heart of gold. I personally wouldn't trade him for anything and would raise him all over again if I had to. The Army has been good for him, he's become a man, with a sense of duty, honor, respect, loyalty and responsibility where it matters the most. HOOAH!

Army Mom Out

4 comments:

Unknown said...

karen...you spoke beautifully for so many of us Blue Star Moms! These strong, brave men will remain babies in our hearts forever. Perfect? I hope not, how would they amuse us? ;)
For those moms who have children that have acted in horrible manners, I pray for their broken hearts.
Love this post! Thank you for sharing!

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Debbi (no 'e' on the end) said...

Great post Karen! I so love to know that there are others out there that have son's like mine...imperfect but still someone to be so proud of. I agree with Airmanmom too...as mine amuses me to no end. I will let you all know when the book I'm writing about him is done! LOL!

Karen said...

I agree with both of you, Airmanmom and Debbi, How they amuse us so.

Tami said...

Karen,
No matter how much I complain about no phone calls and not understanding the Army ways I have to agree.... The Army has been good for my son and I would have it no other way.
Love this post.

aam