Sunday, September 7, 2008

A neat thing happend on my way to a meeting

So I'm on my way to the city, metropolitan city, for a meeting for work. I was getting off the freeway and waiting at the light and this truck goes past me honking his horn, hanging out the driver's side window and then gave me the thumbs up. I smiled and waived back when it clicked, he did this because I have an Army Mom license plate holder in my rear window. It made me smile to know that others out there support us. This was not the first time, actually one other time that I was aware of, a car full of people drove by, honked and also gave me the thumbs up.

Since then, I've received my son's unit license plate holder and I placed that on my car as well. I'm proud of his division, 10th Mountain, stationed out of Ft. Drum, NY.

It reminds me why I started this blog, to remind others that there are real people out there going through deployments and not just the soldiers. To help the other moms not feel so alone. When my son is no longer active duty, I'll still be on here. I think it's important to help as many people as possible with military life. I hope to have a message board soon, but that is still a little ways out, still some matters to work out.

Anyway, Keep the faith, you're not alone and there's more support than you may realize, some are just quieter than others.

Army Mom Out

2 comments:

Debbi (no 'e' on the end) said...

I've had people pull up along side our truck & thank us for our son's service & one time someone left us a noe...does our heart good. And this does happen in the SF Bay Area!

MikeD'sArmyMom said...

I JUST put my Army Mom and Cavalry stickers on my back window this afternoon. Within an hour I was in a conversation about my son's service with two veterans.

Then I waved at a guy driving by in a truck with US Army on his back window. He waved back and gave a big thumbs up.

I was only out of the house for 2 hours! I was amazed.

Also, every friday I wear my bright red Army t-shirt and I get at least one "Thank your son for me" by the end of the day.

It's good to know that there are a lot of people out there that make what Mike is doing worth it all.

Sometimes, I feel like I've been transplanted to a whole new level of living, one I couldn't see before but that is now filtering everything I do and see. I saw the Army stickers, license plates, tshirts before and I always respected our Soldiers. But I never really FELT it until I became an Army mom. It's like I've been adopted by this huge family and I keep seeing a member of that family every time I go out. It's indescribably cool.

Hmm...I should have disclaimers on my comments...I tend to get a bit longwinded. :)