Thursday, April 17, 2008

I Miss My Son


I haven't been myself lately and I couldn't put my finger on exactly why.  Really, it could have been work, Lord knows I have my hands full with that, it could be the lost pregnancy, nah, didn't feel the same way. I did begin to think about how I feel like I have neglected my son a bit. That is the first tour, I was sending packages left and right, I was extremely active in the Blue Star Mothers  and I couldn't wait for that next phone call from him. This time, I have given items to my roommate so he could send them out.  In fact, he's been sending so much stuff out, you'd think it was his son. 

Side note: it's not my roommates kid.  I didn't know him 23 years ago.

Anyway, I still do look forward to his phone calls, but I'm not on MySpace as much. Then it hit me, I'm avoiding thinking too much about him.  I had other mothers who wanted to keep in touch with me and I wanted to but then I found myself not wanting to only because it would make me face reality that my only son is back in Iraq in harms way.  I didn't and still don't really want to think about it.  I love him dearly and wish he was home safe.  Then it really hit me, I'm really missing my son.  This tour is going to be 15 months long.  I still have many months left before he can come home.  I just miss him so much.  15 months is a long time, especially when he no longer lives in the same state as you do.  I miss his laugh, his sense of humor, his goofiness, and just him.  I have found that my mind will wander to the not so pleasant side of "what ifs" and I try not to think of it.  I miss holding him, giving him hugs and kisses and his face.   I love the fact that his as grown up so much, but miss that I'm not able to watch him.  I only get to visit his web site page and imagine what's going on.  I do enjoy reading some of the posts from his friends.  I feel a little bit closer to him.  Every so often I'll get a friend request from one of his friends.  But all in all, I'm just trying to survive each day without him.

 

Army Mom Out  

1 comment:

clt0110 said...

my 19 yr old just left for boot camp, ft. sill. not being able to talk, knowi?g how he is, etc. is killin me. my eyelids are still swollen. graduation seems like a life time away. God bless u and keep us strong and our wonderful young men safe.